I moved to the US when I was in third grade. For me, that seems like a good lifetime ago, but it’s actually not. It was a little more than five years ago, and I remember my first day of school very clearly. It was sometime in April and it was bright and sunny. It was the kind of weather when you feel like you don’t need a coat because it looks warm, but the temperature is actually really cold. Now that I think about it, there was nothing to worry about. But before I stepped into that classroom, I was a nervous wreck. It was like the moment they sanitize your arm with cotton pad right before a flu shot. After you get it over with, you realize there was nothing to worry about. But basically, I made friends and everything. People were so warm and welcoming, there was nothing to worry about. 
As a Korean American, I have to make sure that I was Korean American and not just Korean or just American. I feel that all asian parents have lots of expectations for their kid if they immigrated. They have that because they moved and left their country, and friends and everything behind to get you a better education, or even a better life. When I first moved here, I really missed my family and friends back in Korea. My parents would always ask me if I liked living here and I would always say yes. I just felt that I could be happy here doing what I want to do. 
The one thing that makes me regret living here in the US is the fact that my old Korean friends have made many new friends. Whenever I visit, it’s so awkward to just sit there and talk to them like nothing ever happened. My cousins too, we have such different opinions now, and I feel like I’m just isolated from the group. I feel that the Korean culture and the American culture are so different that, I get confused if I should be more Korean or more American. 
When I first moved here, English was a big problem, because I could not speak any English. I think it is amazing that I learned so much in only five or six years. I think being a Korean American gives me two cultural backgrounds and that is something special because not everyone gets to have two different cultures clashed together. 
At home, I speak Korean. Everywhere else, I speak English. Sometimes, I get confused and use them together. I am really grateful to be able to share my culture with everyone and how I feel about the immigrants that move here, including myself.