Dear Ducky,
My best friend moved to Arizona for two years and came back this year. When she came back she thought we were still best friends, but now I have a new really good friend. How can I explain this to her? I don’t want to hurt her feelings, but two years a long time and I still think of her as a good friend, but now I have just moved on. What can I tell her?
Sincerely,
Friend Frenzy

Dear Friend Frenzy,
Time mends all problems, but it also makes people move on. I am sure in Arizona your friend had many friends there and did not block out life because of you. If you tell her that you cannot be friends because she moved that is very unwelcoming, but if you explain that all three of you could become friends and introduce your friends the end results may be good! You can have more than one best friend and so you will not hurt your friend’s feelings by saying that you have two best friends!
Have fun!
Ducky

Dear Ducky,
Over the summer I met this girl who is really nice but almost immediately started to hit on me. I really do not like her as a potential girlfriend but she keeps talking to me like that. How can I tell her that I am not interested? She friended me on Facebook, added me on Gmail, and several other areas of communication devices. I did not want to be mean and so I added her too, and I think she thought of this as an invitation. Why? What can I say to her and be nice at the same time?
Sincerely,
Uninterested Friend Request

Dear Uninterested Friend Request,
She is interpreting your actions in an unnatural way and I am sure that if she thought that friending on Facebook makes her think that you are inviting her, she thinks and does the same actions to others. If you are the only person who lets her in and friends her that also may be a reason for why she is so desperate in front of you. It is always good to be nice to people and so you are still doing the right thing by talking to her and not ignoring her, but you also cannot tell her right up that you do not want her to be your girlfriend because you may have understood the situation completely incorrectly. Keep doing what you have been doing, and if she asks you out just say no because you do not think of her that way. She should understand.
Good luck!
Ducky

Dear Ducky,
When I prepare for a math test I usually just flip through my textbook and solve the problems mentally. I think that because I am in eighth grade it is not that important to pour over every question and solve it on paper. I think I understand fully what I learn in class and I do not need a pencil and paper to study but my mom is always making me get paper and study the material again. She does not understand that I do not have to and can solve it all in my head.
The problem is, I have really bad grades in math because when I take the test I write my solutions and everything but my answers are always wrong. How can I become a good math solver?
Sincerely,
Problem Solver

Dear Problem Solver,
If you study by writing down all your problems in the book and memorize everything your test scores will go up. Another issue you may be having is that although you solve the questions in the book in your head you are solving them wrong. Try comparing your answers to the answer manual or ask you teacher for the answers to the book problems. This way you are sure that you are getting them right. Also, if you get really nervous in a test situation this may also be why you are getting low grades. If you are fully prepared you will not get nervous.
Hope this helps,
Ducky

Dear Ducky,
In the morning my mom always wakes me up thirty minutes before I get to school. I am never late but I arrive at school about one minute before the bell rings. If there is a little bit of a traffic jam I run in while the bell is ringing. I have two alarm clocks near my bed but I sleep soundly through the alarms. I want wake myself up earlier, but HOW?
Sincerely,
Sleepy Head

Dear Sleep Head,
If you are not waking up to two alarm clocks try changing the alarm tones. Making your alarm tone to something you are accustomed to may make it harder for you to wake up, but if you make your alarm tone your phone’s ringtone you will wake up thinking that you need to pick up your phone. If you leave your phone on vibrate or do have a phone, try making it a classical song which you do not listen to often or a loud hard rock song which you get easily annoyed with. The only problem with music is that if you are a very heavy sleeper you will just get nightmares from the annoying music. Try many different alarm tones until you find one that works and wake up to it.
Good luck!
Ducky

Dear Ducky,
I have a really close friend but she started to be friends with other recently and so she never talks to me anymore. I still think of her as my best friend, but I do not like that she is close to that other girl. Am I jealous of her? She is my only friend and so I am sad that it looks like she is leaving me. I hate it, and I don’t want her to! What can I do?
Sincerely,
Losing Friendships

Dear Losing Friendships,
Many people in this world are in need of a great friend like you, but if you are sad that your old friend started to be friends with someone else you should try and be understanding. She will probably still talk to you if you started talking to her first! Your best friend can have other best friends too and as long as you still think of her as your best friend you can try and become friends with your best friend’s close friend. The best case scenario? Being able to wear a BEST FRIENDS FOREVER necklace for three people.
Good luck! Ducky