Dear Ducky,
Science fair is in a few weeks! All the students at my high school are preparing for fair; at least it seems like it. It is not that competitive and so we tell everyone our project topics, but there are those students who avoid sharing their topics. They act like they are so much better and ignore anyone who asks them what their project is. I really think that science fair is not for the awards in the end, but to find your inner scientist. If they are truly passionate about their project, I don’t think they have to ignore people or randomly go to the bathroom while talking about science fair. I started to see a fine line between friendship and competitor. It is such a sad thing when your best friend’s goal is to bring your science fair project down. What do you think?
Sincerely,
Best Friend’s Competitor

Dear Best Friend’s Competitor,
I think that if your friends do not want to talk about it, and you are truly not the competitive one it shouldn’t bother you. However, I do not think your friends should have to run away to the bathroom or another place because they don’t want anyone to know about their idea. Also, if the fair is only in a few weeks I don’t know if there is a need to be all secretive if they are afraid of other people stealing their idea. Besides that, why else do they not want anyone to know what they are doing? Overall, if they don’t want to tell you it might not be just because they think of you as competition. They just think of everyone as their competitor. Don’t take it too deeply.
Good luck at the fair!
Ducky

Dear Ducky,
I don’t know why but I am always so exhausted. They are so many things to do in 24 hours! School work, studying for tests, sports, and then to fit sleep in there! I know I have to do all of these things well but there are just too many things that I feel that I have to be good at. I have a goal to achieve, but in order to achieve the goal I have to overcome this exhaustion. Help me?
Sincerely,
Sleepy Head

Dear Sleepy Head,
The most important thing is to get back on a regular sleeping schedule. Once your body gets accustomed to say five hours of sleep, even if you sleep more to “gain back time” your body can not get back all of those missed hours because it is accustomed to five hours of sleep. Also to make sure you have a regular sleeping schedule, try to wake up early to finish those last few problems of homework. Have a set time to sleep at and also make sure your work load is doable for that evening. Remember everyone is doing the same things as you and they are not as exhausted! It is definitely possible to do all your work without an adequate amount of sleep.
Goo d night!
Ducky 

Dear Ducky,
Recently there has been a lot of talk about the tiger mom. My friends and I, especially my Chinese friends were very mad at the article. I always thought when my mom makes me study she was like Dracula mom. At least tigers can be cute and cuddly, but my mom was just plain scary if I didn’t do well. Of course, she is not literally a vampire but she was always as strict as the tiger mom portrayed in the articles. Anyways, I have always hoped for a mom who was always nice who cared about things others then homework and grades. She never seems to notice feelings or friendship issues and persistently asks me when I can start studying for my tests. Is this normal?
Sincerely,
Dracula’s Daughter

Dear Dracula’s Daughter,
Many parents are like that before admissions in colleges, achievements in extracurricular activities, etc. There has also been a lot of controversy with those articles of the Tiger mom. Many are saying that the articles are too in depth and in some cases accurate but written in a misleading way. Your parents might be like that too, and that is definitely normal. They just want the best for you! 
Good luck!
Ducky

Dear Ducky,
My science fair is just around the corner and I am so excited about my project! I want to get an award but I am worried. A lot of my friends have parents who are professors at Ivy League schools and many are scientists. Their parents advise my friends on their projects and then I really can’t compete with professors. Doesn’t that mean I have no chance? I don’t think this is fair that based on your parents’ jobs your science project is good or bad. What if my parents can’t help me, and I did my project by myself and I don’t get an award? Isn’t that unfair?
Sincerely,
Science Fair Participant

Dear Science Fair Participant,
Although parents may apply their thoughts into their children’s project, in the end it is the student’s work. It would be unbearable to get first place, while knowing that your parent did most of the project and that others worked more than you. If you don’t think that this is the case, I think that most projects are done by the students either way. Also, you definitely have a chance because it is the student who presents the project, not the parent.
Good luck!
Ducky