So he was quiet and not shushed again
It was lonely, cold and dark in the basement
But he was still happy that he had a family
His little stomach breathed heavily while he rested his little head 
on the edge of the metal racks

Chester was driven for a long time
and they let him down in the cold snow
Chester ran around excited
It’s been too long since he got to go outside!
But soon, they went into their car
Chester sat outside the door, looking intently 
at the eyes that looked away
and was left alone
In the cold snowy winter in the woods
He chased the big grey van as best as he could
barking as loud as he could for them to turn their head back around
But they were too fast for him.
Soon Chester couldn’t see anything
Not even light
He waited and waited, but they never came back. 
He whimpered with fear and shrinked his size
and licked his little paws and shivered
Chester cried cautiously, cuddling comfort

[Explication for “All Alone”]

My first poem portrays abandoning which is represented by a dog named Chester. 

This poem is a story about a dog getting abandoned after the owner decides not to take care of him anymore. The dog’s name is Chester and he represents not only a dog but also any living thing that we tend to throw away without appreciating it’s values. I tried to follow a similar writing style to what Robert Hayden does in his poem “Those Winter Sundays”. Hayden’s poem has a similar idea of not getting appreciated in the family. In his poem, the speaker says “No one ever thanked him” in the first stanza. I also wrote about how Chester is never appreciated. “But was shushed instantly for the happy barks and was jammed into the his tiny black crate” is similar to what Robert Hayden wrote in his poem. I also started with the line “Even in the snow, every morning” to contrast with “Sundays too my father got up early”. The words “even” and “too” gives an idea of the repetitiveness of the happening. 

I used two punctuations in this poem, an exclamation point and a period. The exclamation point was used in “It’s been too long since he got to go outside!” This added excitement to the phrase and showed how happy Chester was to be outside. I did not use any other exclamation points to contrast with the speaker, and Chester’s thoughts. I used a period after “He waited and waited, but they never came back.” to incorporate the idea of how the family’s minds were set on getting rid of Chester. The period adds a serious tone to that sentence.  

I chose the title “All Alone” to let the reader acquire a sense of what the poem is about before they read it. In the beginning of this poem, Chester has a family, but at the end Chester is left by himself which shows the end result of Chester being all alone. Also, there is a factor of Chester being separated with his siblings when he was a baby and become adopted to a new family, which makes him all alone from his siblings. 

I want the reader to feel pity for Chester while reading this poem and feel sad for him. This poem should also let the readers experience some guilt for dog owners because Chester’s entire life revolves his owners, while Chester is only a small part of their life, if any. I got the idea also from “Those Winter Sundays” but the difference is that in Hayden’s poem the speaker realizes how the father was so unappreciated, while in my poem, the speaker is neutral and the family does not realize any sort of sympathy or understanding for Chester.