“Wow, her eyebrows are literally perfect,” We all murmured. “Um, it’s more like her entire face is literally perfection,” My friend interjected, while we looked at Kendall Jenner’s new instagram selfie. Her thick, full lips pouted while her big eyes stared straight at the camera. “Ugh, I wish I was that pretty,” I said finally, earning a look from my friends. “You are pretty... For an Asian at least… Hey! At least you’re smart, I’m so dumb,” My friend told me earning a laugh. Although I knew she was joking, we all knew that it was kind of true. These words challenged me to evaluate my own perception of beauty. 
I am not stating that I am ugly, or that all Asians are ugly. It is though, in a way stated in society that most Asians are not the ideal standards of beauty. In the society that we live in, women, in general are judged by our features. For instance, we are judged by our complexion of skin, our weight and even our lady bits. Living life as a female, I have experienced these different stereotypes. Living life as an Asian, I have experienced that most Asians are not considered as beautiful as whites are, or that our society considers it to be very rare for an Asian girl to be beautiful. I know, that people might be thinking ‘Come on, you are comparing yourself to Kendall Jenner. Of course you can’t be more attractive.’ Although I understand that I probably don’t have as perfect physical features as a Kardashian, being considered “not as beautiful” because I am Asian instead of “not as beautiful” because I am not Kendall Jenner is something I believe is different. 
I was born to respect and to take pride in how I look. My mom and dad obviously praised my features, but I also did really think I was attractive. I was born into the arms of my mom and dad, both Korean, which obviously, made my features Korean. When I have moved to the US when I was five years old, I realized that I wasn’t the cutest girl in preschool. Western features are prefered by most people in the world than Eastern features. The big eyes, large nose, and light hair were much more prefered than the small eyes and the thick dark hair. For example, look at a Victoria’s Secret model. The models have blonde hair, thin bodies, light skin and big eyes. There are incredibly small amount of Asian models in the Victoria’s Secret fashion show. I have always wondered ‘Why is this? Why did God make my eyes so small and my hair so dark? Why can’t I have blonde hair with bold features?’ 
Excelling in academics is probably something that our society thinks that Asians exceed in. This is something I can’t deny, because myself included, I really care about my academics and grades. That does not mean that all Asians are math geniuses, but it is hard to find an Asian that are naive with finding the correct measures of a triangle. I believe that Asian parents have established this kind of thinking to their children. “You have to achieve to become the best in class, so you can go to a great college!” is something hear almost everyday from my parents. Receiving a strong education is something that I prioritize as my first because of the brainwashing I go through as my parents sing me the “college rant”. 
  Being smart, and not being the most beautiful girl around is something I deal with everyday because of my ethnicity. Obviously, many people have different opinions of their perception of beauty. The factors that would decide someone’s beauty would be endless. Overall, in my opinion, the key factor of someone’s beauty is their knowledge. Maybe I think this way because of the constant nagging of my parents for me to attend a rigorous college, or maybe I really believe in it, but I believe that knowledge gives me real power, than what beauty might give me. Although beauty might get me a model gig or romance, having the power to create a foundation for yourself as a women with your education is something that should be valued more.