Achebe uses a sudden change in his tone of diction to create a violent and dramatic climax. In the beginning of the passage, Achebe describes the funeral as “quiet”, “dust”, “sacred”, “swallowed” and “light”. He creates an imagery in which the ceremony is very serene and almost spiritual. The imagery is supported with his description of people carrying around “basket full of water”, and how the “noise subsided”. This showcases the rituals of an Umuofian funeral and creates a sacred and religious tone to the passage. He also adds in the dancing and the “funeral drums” to feature the religious aspects of this ceremonial and how abnormal it would be for the ceremonial to be interrupted. 
     Achebe creates this imagery so that he could anticipate the height of when the funeral is interrupted by a loud gun noise which peaks the climax. “Drums”, “fever heat”, “delirious”, “fury”, “agony”, and “horror” are some of the words that Achebe uses to accentuate the climax of this passage. They have a strong feeling to them unlike the calm and quiet words in the beginning of the passage. These words are loud and obnoxious, and completely distorts the whole scene and tone of the passage and changes it. 
     The words used in the beginning of the funeral drastically changes to a whole new setting from a serene and respected funeral to a mysterious and sudden change and highlights it. This change in diction creates a more dramatic and anticipated ending of the passage. Looking over Okonkwo’s years in Mbanta, Achebe wanted to portray the growth of Okonkwo as the world grew with him. Shown in Part 2 of the novel, it is clear that there had been British influence that came to Okonkwo’s tribe. All of the Africans are very naive with what is going on outside of their region, and it is visible that the Umuofians and Mbantans had no experience with other religion, culture or language. 
    They say that the White men is Albino, because they have never encountered people with a different skin color. Obierika interpreted that the white men was “speak through his nose” because Obierika had never heard of language other than his own (139). While this is happening Okonkwo goes through an exile that lasts for seven years which changes him to learn to not be depressed and that people had dealt with many hardships than Okonkwo had in his life. When Okonkwo goes through a time of despair, Uchendu tells Okonkwo that he needs to learn that there are many others who had gotten through worse hardships. 
    Uchendu tells Okonkwo the different hardships he experienced, “Do you know how many children I have buried… I did not hang myself, and I am still alive”, Uchendu wants to motivate Okonkwo and tell him that his life is not as bad as it seems (135). In all of part 2, Achebe tries to communicate to the reader that many people in the world are naive and inexperienced in knowing different cultures. He exemplifies this by developing Okonkwo as a character who learns that he was ignorant for being in despair when others have gone through more that Okonkwo is unaware of.