Dear Ducky,
There is a new transfer student at my school – he speaks with this definitely fake, annoying British accent. He is as arrogant as any human being can get, and in all facets, simply a terrible, wasted person. I don’t know why, but all the girls like him. I would be okay with this, but the biggest problem is that my own girlfriend seems to like him too. When I call him a bad person and tell her what I think of him, she is always defending him… Why is that? What is it that makes girls like him so much? Say there was one thing I want to accomplish in life; I would want him to be less annoying. I want to change him, but want to keep my girl in the end. What can I do?
Sincerely,
Benjamin Button Syndrome

Dear Benjamin Button Syndrome,
Although I am curious as to why you have chosen your alias to be a movie character who, in time, ages backwards in time, I will proceed to give you a glimpse into your girlfriend’s eyes through your eyes. If an Australian female model were to proudly walk down the hallway in your school and speak to you in her attractive, Australian accent – you would enjoy this a bit, wouldn’t you? Or, you may not. If you see the centered around men whom all the girls fawn over, you will notice that they have maybe one best friend and several girl friends. They find it difficult to be kind to anyone other than the opposite sex. These men are infamously named players. There are other names as well, but let’s stick with that one. Your transfer, player-type friend may have a fake British accent, but that’s a bit hard to believe. He may be terrible and wasted, then what do the girls see? They see a unique new guy. A new guy, someone who doesn’t know them and they don’t know him. He could be a British agent for all they know. But don’t worry, your girl, is yours. She won’t be running to any fake-British mimicking, girl-loving, wasted guy anytime soon. Not if she knows what she’s got.
Sincerely,
Ducky

Dear Ducky,
I just wanted to thank you for your English version section. I have always been very interested in the New England Korean News! Are there any free posting information sections which you can recommend for me? I also want to connect to the New England Korean community. Thank you very much!
Sincerely,
A Fan of Ducky

Dear Fan,
I’m glad there are readers out there! This section was originally designed for Koreans who could not speak English well, but wanted to read it in the newspaper, for others who could only read English and for readers who just wanted a more light-hearted section in the Hanein Hoebo Korean Newspaper. Although there isn’t a public column section of the newspaper, one could potentially submit an article, preferably in Korean to the Chief Editor. However, if the post was in English, depending on its topic it could be featured in a week’s issue. If you have specific ways you want to connect, feel free to shoot me another question – you can certainly just send me an email that I won’t publicly print. There are many opportunities through the Korean Society of New England.
Sincerely,
Ducky 

Dear Ducky,
My whole life I have trained as an athlete. I have trained and trained, and then peaked at an early age leading many to believe I was cut out for several different sports. Now in high school, I see athletes who have not been training since their early years and the sport simply comes naturally to them. It makes me feel like I am only where I am because I worked, but really I have no talent. I feel like I’ve just pushed myself to this point and one day, I will hit a brick wall as others are shot far ahead of me. My mind used to be extremely tough at competitions, but now afterwards I feel so much stress because I feel like it is unfair. I have worked for years and years, morning and night for this sport and what do they do? A few years? I want to find my passion again, but whenever I see someone who is new and is way better than I was at their age, it’s like a bully is pushing my head back into the swirling toilet. (That’s never happened to me before, but I feel like it would feel something like this.)
Sincerely,
Bullied Belinda

Dear Bullied Belinda,
First, there are naturals to everything, but many people’s sudden talents arise from built up work. For example, a track runner may seem great from his or her first practice, but they may have been a competitive swimmer for years before their first time on the track. You work for your accomplishments. This makes you want to win more than anyone else, and when you do, you feel good. You feel as if you’ve deserved that trophy, that medal. This goes for anything. Some student may get a perfect SAT score, but that student may have read thousands of books in his free time and always answered a practice math question before he went to bed for the past ten years. My philosophy is, everyone gets what they deserve, and one day you will realize that your talent will be multiplied, times a hundred, scratch that, a million times because of your hard work. Hard work makes you earn the will to win, the win to succeed. I want you to set a goal for yourself, something that once you achieve, you will look back at this question of yours and wonder, what was I thinking? I am proud of myself, I am where I am because I have worked for it.
Sincerely,
Ducky

Dear Ducky,
Recently, as a senior, the buzz is all about where everyone is going to college. However, I know where I am going – I got accepted into my top school! But now it is all about what I want to do with my life. Truth is, my parents and I have always dreamt of law school. Yes, pre-law school. All throughout high school I have prepared for four years to go into Law. However, in my four years, I have also spent my free hours painting on a canvas, sketching skylines and animating the margins of my notebook paper with drawings of everything around me. I love to draw. I love it so much that becoming a designer of sorts has always been dancing around in the back of my head. At this university of mine, there is an extremely strong arts program as well as introductions in law. How do I decide my path? All my college essays were about decisions, laws, and simply the subject of Law. Could I take the other fork in the road, just like that? Just with a turn of the hips, and then off I go into the Designer Lane? How?
Sincerely,
Law of Design

Dear Law of Design,
College is a time to understand one’s self and explore one’s interests. That is definitely what my high school principal told me when I was going into high school, but college is even more so. You are so much freer with your schedule, your hours and your friends. You are thrown into a community who, like yourself may change paths: a wannabe doctor becoming a pianist, an aspiring marine biologist jumping board the engineering train, or a student definitely going into dentistry walking out as a llama. Maybe a llama trainer is more likely, but you get my point. Especially because your education for the next four years of your life will be on a campus with both a strong pre-Law and Arts program, your paths are unlimited. Try classes in both, make friends in both areas and go from there. Don’t think that because you have taken a bajillion classes and notes on Law in high school means that you, no matter what, must become America’s next lawyer. Choose your own path, choose your own future – after all, it is yours.
Sincerely,
Ducky