“Until I feared I would lose it, I never loved to read. One does not love to breathe.”-Scout Finch- to kill a mockingbird.

To kill a mockingbird is NOT a handbook on killing birds. In fact, it is a timeless classic read by thousands of students across the world since 1960. Harper lee constructed her novella by writing excerpts and stories from the memory of our young narrator Scout. It has won the Pulitzer Prize and the film has one three academy awards.

At the beginning of the book, Scout is a juvenile, baffled tomboy, who doesn’t understand how to be ladylike at all, much to the disappointment of her aunt. On her first day of first grade, she makes the mistake of embarrassing a boy by exploiting how he can’t pay for his lunch; on her second day she encounters her disgusting classmate, Burris Ewell, who houses several mice and lice in his unwashed hair and face, and makes their teacher cry. Burris’ family sets the plotline in part two of the book. This piece of writing is set in four summers, and in each summer, Scout, her brother Jem, and her best friend Dill all poke fun at a poor man named Boo Radley. Boo Radley is referenced in several contemporary books, and he is known to be a cantankerous evil man who locks himself in his house. However, he is really only just a quiet man who is mistreated by his father. Boo Radley is known as a “mockingbird”, a kind person who is injusticed. Near the end of the book, he ends up saving Jem and Scout’s life from the murderous antagonist, Bob Ewell.

쥴리아.jpg

In the second half of the book, the characters have all matured in some ways. The main plotline of the second part is based on a very mature topic, and I personally don’t recommend it for younger readers. An African American man is wrongly trialed for beating Mayella Ewell, a lying disgusting woman who lied to the court that the wonderful African American man had hit her. The racist community immediately called the man guilty, and he was later on shot. The children cried at this, and their tears displayed empathy, a form of maturity. Overall my favorite character is Atticus Finch, the father of Jem and Scout. He really guides the characters’ lives so that they can be kind people who are governed by conscience. He was the only man who agreed to protect the African American who was wrongly accused. He sets my idea of the best fictional role model, and this leads to my next point. 

My grade is reading “To kill a Mockingbird” as a whole. We decided to pick this book to read as our second term reading book, because of the bullying and racism that has been going on around in my school. The way that Boo Radley and the African American man were both robbed of their humanities, really touched me, and made everyone in the grade understand that everyone is fighting a hard battle, and it is necessary to be nice to everyone. This novel is banned from national libraries, as guessed by Harper Lee’s publishers. It is banned because of the racist comments that are said by the characters. I think that it is important to address these comments instead of ignoring them because I hear many of these terms used around the school, and many students are affected by them. To keep up with the novel, my class has made a chart called “The road to Atticus.” This road keeps track of how close each character is to becoming just like Atticus, the conscious model in this book.

My last point that I want to address overall is how the books that I read everyday affect everything that I do. This is the first book where I full out realized how serious these racial matters were. It is important to make connections not only to characters and people in your life, but to apply the lessons to life. For me, my real life Atticus is my parents. I hope that you can enjoy this novel and use it as a life guide just as I did.